Youth Sport Development
Casa-Nica has recently started working with an organization based in Granada called SportsDonations ForImpact or SD4I. This young organization is trying to offer the youth of Granada a productive outlet for their energies via sport. They are trying to involve the youth of Granada in the four main sports in Nicaragua; baseball, soccer, boxing and basketball, by providing places to practice and eventually leagues and training sessions.
Their website is here: www.sd4i.org
SD4I is opening a US State Department funded boxing gym in Granada in December 2013 wich will provide free boxing and fitness classes to any young people in Granada that want to take part.
Further into 2014 SD4I wants to promote the accessibility and organize legues in baseball, soccer and basketball.
SportsDonations ForImpact is currently run on a day to day basis by one guy so any assisstance in the following areas would be very welcome to get his project flourishing:
- Grant/Proposal Writing
- Seeking alternative funding from Public/Private Sectors for additional sports programs/events/clinics
- Updating Social Media platforms, posting videos/photos, keeping current with the participants of the program/events
- Initiating fundraising with local businesses/organizations to create pot. sports clinics, events, donations or leagues.
- Meeting with companies/organizations in Nicaragua in order to connect with potential donors for exhibitions and leagues
- Planning, developing and implementing PR strategies
- Connecting with media sources, such as; newspapers/radio stations/news stations in order to have stories published that promote SD4I activities
- Organizing "marketing campaign" in country, such as design and position through the community banners, posters, brochures, etc.
- Maintaining and updating Website information
- Setting up sporting events/clinics/leagues
- Managing the storage of all equipment
- Managing the sports equipment rental with participants
- Develop calender of "Planned Activities" in order to ensure a consistency of SD4I programs
- Co-ordinating leagues (orchestrating with coaches, refs, purchasing uniforms, scheduling games, practices, etc.)
- Meeting with schools to speak with students and raise participation of events
- Registering participants for different sports
- Iniaiting surveys with communities we are working in, and in other communities to asses where we could place potential Micro-Centers for our flagship Boxing Program
- Working with our translator on documents
- Assisting "marketing campaign" with print outs or banners, posters, brochures, sign-up forms, etc.
- Locating potential sports donors
- Locating organizations/communities that need sports equipment and connecting them to our donor
- Responsible for the logistics of transporting the donated sports material to the agreed upon recipient of said material
- Writing After-Action reports to assess impact made on community.
SD4I is located in the city of Granada, which is around 20 minuts travel by public transport from Masaya and costs around $0.80USD to get there.
The intern on this project would stay in the Casa-Nica volunteer house in Masaya and travel to Granada most days during the week. The volunteer will receive all the benefits of staying with Casa-Nica.
The intern will be expected to work in Granada most days of the working week e.g. four days of Monday to Friday.
All interns will stay in the Casa-Nica Volunteer house located in Masaya. The volunteer house is a large secure colonial house with lots of space around it's two courtyard gardens to relaxy in hammocks, easy chairs and on the lawns.
The hosue comes with 3Mbps wireless internet, laundry facilities, fully equiped kitchen and BBQ. Volunteers will be placed in a room on their own as long as this is possible. When there are two many volunteers for this then rooms will always be shared with a volunteer of the same sex.
The house is located in the center of Masaya one block from the central part and not more than 3 block away from all convienencies e.g. pharmacies, super markets, ATM's, transport connections and gyms.
Casa-Nica will provide one hour of Spanish tuition Monday to Friday at no additional cost.
In addition Casa-Nica will provide and cook a family meal once per week for all volunteers in the house.
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost. Your Reservation Fee is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|1 month: $850||Longer: +$800 per month|
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with Casa-Nica for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!