Vervet Monkeys and Baboon Rehabilitation
Help rehabilitate orphaned and injured monkeys and baboons.
Volunteer activities with this program range from:
- Bottle feeding baby vervet monkeys and baboons
- Preparing food for adult vervet monkeys and baboons
- Cleaning out enclosures
- Hands-on interaction with the primates
- Helping prepare current and future releases
- Garderning (planting and picking fruit and vegtables for the monkeys)
- Helping with food collection from local farms
- Monitor the progress of over 400 monkeys and baboons as they get closer to release.
This project requires a passion for animal welfare and monkeys, even if you are not a monkey lover to begin with, you will be after a few hours with the little primates as they begin to bond with you.
The monkey rehabilitaion centre is located close to Phalaborwa, situated in the lush African bush. The centre was set up 16 years ago including on site accomodation.
This project is available all year round with requested arrival and departure day on a Monday (subject to availability).
The day starts at 7.00 with cleaning out cages and feeding the animals. Breakfast is at 9.00, which is followed by more feeding and then checking for any injuries or discomfort. Specific rehabilitation projects are then worked on. Lunch is at 1.00 and the afternoon programmes vary from building new enclosures, planting vegetables (for animals), checking animals in various stages of the rehabilitation programme, collecting food, or sometimes having some time off to go on excursions. Dinner is at 6.00 and feeding of nocturnal animals then takes place.
Accomodation is on site with only a short woodland walk between the monkey enclousures and log cabins.
The log cabins are basic but comfortable, each cabin includes: bedroom, lounge and dining area, pool and outside fire area. The log cabins sleep 4 - 6 volunteers.
Food and drink is included on the project with home cooked meals by the centres founder.
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost. Your Reservation Fee is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|2 weeks: $1,649||Longer: +$404 per week|
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with Oyster Worldwide for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!