Spelling Bee Camp Counselor
Volunteer for the 4th National Spelling Bee Camp!
In 2014 CorPlus is planning to organize two week-long Spelling Bee camps in two consecutive weeks. The first camp is an award for all 30 finalists of the national round of the Bulgarian Spelling Bee competition and their teachers. The second camp is open to other Spelling Bee participants and is a paid event.
Volunteer activities with this program range from:
- Planning for the camp
- Preparing and implementing interactive games developing English language skills of participants
- Preparing and implementing a variety of camp activities for students and teachers: academic classroom activities in the morning, American culture activities in the afternoon, sports and recreation activities in the evening
- Facilitating training of trainers sessions for teachers of English participating in the camp
- Giving feedback and suggestions
You must have interest and skill in sports and/or performing arts – e.g. American or European football, Basketball, Swimming, Frisbee, dance, music, theater.
You will volunteer with CorPlus, a local non-profit organization, a legacy partner of US Peace Corps Bulgaria and successor of some of its programs and initiatives. Learn more about CorPlus!
Sofia is the captial of Bulgaria. It is a large city with more than 1.5 million inhabitants, rich historical heritage, diverse cultural life and many entertainments to offer.
Camps will be held in the mountainous region.
The period of the assignment is June 29 - July 27, 2014.
1st week (June 30 - July 6)– Camp preparation – from 9 am to 5 pm (with 60-minute lunch break) – group meetings and individual work in CorPlus office.
2nd and 3rd week (July 7-July 20) – 2 consecutive camps – 8:00-8:50 am – Breakfast, 9:00-12:00 am – Classroom Academic Activities; 12:00-2:00 pm – Lunch Break; 2:00-4:00 pm – American Culture Activities; 4:00-6:00 pm – Optional Activities or Free Time; 6:00-7:00 pm – Dinner; 7:30-9:30 pm – Sports and Recreation Activities.
4th week (July 21 - July 27)– Cultural week (in Sofia or in a traditional Bulgarian village) – field trips to get acquainted with the history, culture, traditions and everyday life of Bulgarians.
1st week - in Sofia – Volunteers have the option to stay at a hotel or hostel. Hot, running water is available as well as free wireless internet.
2nd and 3rd week - during the camp –– Volunteers will stay at a hotel out of Sofia. Hot, running water is available as well as free wireless internet.
4th week – Cultural week -– Volunteers have two options – to stay in Sofia (at a hotel or hostel) or in a traditional Bulgarian village (staying with a host family). Hot, running water is available.
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost. Your Reservation Fee is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|4 weeks: $2,018|
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with CORPluS Foundation for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!