Volunteering in an orphanage is a great way to really experience the culture of a country, whilst making a contribution and gaining an unforgettable experience.
Volunteer assists in the daily running of the orphanage. In some placements the volunteer can live in the orphanage with the children and for others they will live in a special volunteers' apartment. Your role as a volunteer is to act as a big brother or sister to the children. The particulars of the role can vary depending on the orphanage. In general you will be assisting the children to get ready for school, help them with their homework, play games and organise activities and assist them in practicing English.
You may also be required to help in the daily running of the orphanage, such as helping to prepare food or cleaning. As a volunteer you will be a role model for the children, giving them care and encouragement whilst teaching them basic life and health skills.
- Teach English in an orphanage
- Share knowledge with workers in the orphanage
- Organize field trips with the children
- Coordinate with local teachers in the orphanage
- Participate in various activities within the orphanage
- Short trips to other places
- Cultural exchange with the locals.
Depending on the needs of the children, volunteers can get involved in any of following activities:
- Teaching English (1-2 hours a day) to children.
- Organizing games, drawing, singing, dancing, and other creative education and extracurricular activities.
- Taking kids on Playgrounds.
- Helping kids to do homework, monitor academic progress, and make sure kids complete their homework.
- Sanitation (helping kids in brushing teeth, shower, and personal hygiene).
- Child care services for orphans who cannot go to school.
- Help kids to dress up and reach school safely.
- Help with administration, running errands etc.
- Help in other activities or programs designed for kids.
Volunteer foundation Nepal is located in Sanepal-2, Kathmandu. Taxi service is available 24 hours a day. The home is situated in an open area with beautiful location.
The orphanage is located in the south quarter of Kathmandu called Lalitpur. We have a great open area in front of the house where visitors and kids enjoy playing football. We also provide a bicycle for volunteers who want to go to the center. Additionally, there are bus stands next to the house.
Our coordinators working for the orphanage are happy to figure out times to show our volunteers around!
7:00 AM -8:00 AM
- Breakfast time for kids, volunteers can distribute food for kids and help in kitchen. Volunteers take breakfast after children.
8:00 AM-9:00 AM
- Time for kids to go school, volunteer can help kids to get ready for school (sanitation, dressing, packing)
9:00 AM-10:00 AM
- Kids go to school; volunteers take kids o school or help o reach school safely.
10:00 PM-4:00 PM
- Volunteers can help in administration work in office also they can visit different tourist spot in Kathmandu.
4:00 PM-7:00 PM
- Kids come back from school. Volunteers help with homework and after that teach music , art work and other creativity .
- Dinner and off to bed
- Study revew
- Go to Bed
Volunteer foundation Nepal provides a single private room for the volunteers in a homely environment with children. We provide 24 hour electricity, running water and internet connection. Also during placement we will provide Nepali food, i.e Daal Bhat , which include rice, lentils, vegetable and pickles.
We provide two rooms for the volunteers and they will each have a bed. It's strictly prohibited to smoke inside the house.
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost. Your Reservation Fee is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|4 weeks: $604||Longer: +$93 per week|
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with Volunteer Foundation Nepal for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!