Nature Center Manager
Through this project the Volunteer will assist with the renovations of the Nature Center at the GARD Center, which would include:
- Plan, coordinate and manage assigned programme activities of the Nature Center, with Volunteers and Educational Programs, Collections, and Operations.
- Oversee the care and management of historical artifacts and displays,
- Oversee the maintenance of demonstration gardens and other attractions.
- Ensure continuous upkeep of the heritage trail and ensure that signage is updated and visible.
- Responsible for organizing and supervising visitor tours, demonstrations, evening programs fun days, etc.
- Ensure that rest area/bathroom facilities are kept clean by staff responsible.
- Responsible for the collection and handover of fees.
- Assist with fundraising activities for the Center.
- Assist Executive Director in developing a nature center business plan.
- Organize schedules for handicraft artisans using the craft room.
- Assist in developing new areas of the nature center.
Antigua and Barbuda is a twin island state which is located in the middle of the Leeward Islands in the Eastern Caribbean, roughly 17 degrees north of the equator.
Antigua, the largest of the English-speaking Leeward Islands, is about 14 miles long and 11 miles wide, encompassing 108 square miles. Its highest point is Mount Obama (1319 ft., 402 metres), located in the south western corner of the island. It is said to have 365 beaches, one for every day in the year. Barbuda, a flat coral island with an area of only 68 square miles, lies approximately 30 miles due north. The nation also includes the tiny (0.6 square mile) uninhabited island of Redonda, now a nature preserve.
There is nowhere very far in Antigua. From the capital city of St. John’s to the GARD Center it is about 9 miles. Temperatures generally range from the mid-seventies in the winter to the mid-eighties in the summer.
Flexible. The normal work week is 40 hours, over the course of a 5 day period. The volunteer can start the day at 7:00am and be finished by 3:00pm. Once settled the volunteer and the Executive Director or her appointee would sit and agree upon a schedule.
Are within 5 miles of the GARD Center with Internet Access. Separate living accommodations.
Housing will be arranged for each volunteer on a case by case basis to ensure the comfort of the volunteer. Recommendations can also be made for volunteers who wish to seek their own accommodations.
- There is access to clean potable water in their living quarters and also at the GARD Center site.
- Hot running water is available at the accommodations.
- There are several establishments available for to the volunteer for laundry.
- Internet is accessible and free at the GARD Center and the service is quite reliable.
- Internet connectivity is available at the accommodations as well as, there are Internet Cafés in the capital.
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost. Your Reservation Fee is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|1 month: $1,305||Longer: +$1,255 per month|
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with GARD Center for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!