Medical Internship in Ecuador
Do an internship within a subcenter of health here in Cuenca, Ecuador! A truly unique experience for aspriing medical professionals!
A subcenterof health in Ecuador is the first point of contact in the health care system. These medical professionals deal with both prevention and primary care attention, including dental care. Interns within these subcenters have the unique opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the centers and have full exposure to a wide variety of medical cases.
As an intern in this program you will partake in some/all of the following activities:
- Assisting/shadowing doctors and nurses in rural and city subcentres of health
- Door-to-door treatment visits in medical emergencies and illness outbreak
- Involvement in current preventive and outreach campaigns
- Varying role within educational seminars at local primary and high schools
El Nomad Immersion Programs enables you to get the most out of your time here by pairing your internship experience with the opportunity to study Spanish classes at the local university. These classes are university certified, giving students the opportunity to apply for credit points (if desired) with their university back home. In order to work in the medical field, a minimum of a beginner level of spanish is essential.
Program includes the following:
- Transportation on arrival and prior to departure
- Night in hostel
- Onsite Orientation
- City Bus Tour
- Provided homestay with local family
- 3 traditional Ecuadorian meals a day
- TANDEM program, culture and language exchange "buddy"
- Prepaid bus pass
- Cell phone rental with starting credit
- Excursion to Cajas National Park
- Excursion to Ingapirca Ruins
- Weekly Cultural Activities
- Accident and sickness insurance
- 24 hour emergency numbers
The subcentres of health that we work with are located in Ecuadors third largest city, Cuenca. Nonetheless, with a population of 500,000, Cuenca provides the charm of a small, welcoming community. In 1999, Cuenca was declared an UNESCO World Heritage Sites and in 2010, it was voted one of the top ten cities in the world to visit by the Lonely Planet.
A clean city of colonial heritage and modern amenities, in Cuenca you'll find everything from international resturants and cars, to sports facilities (gym, swimming pool, rock-climbing walls, etc.) and biking/running trails, to shopping malls and yoga studios. Cuenca is also a short distance form excursions like Cajas National Park and the ruins of Ingapirca. History is a alive here: lively street markets, colonial churches, indigenous people in traditional dress, and a warm, friendly atmosphere that makes Cuenca both a perfect home away from home and an inviting place to learn the Spanish language.
We are 100 per cent flexible! You can choose your start and end dates based on a time that suits you best. We are able to completely customise your program duration and the time of the year you choose to do it.
Depending on the amount of Spanish classes you choose to take, your day-to-day schedule will vary. You can intern as much or little as you would like!
All of our accomodation is centrally-located in Cuenca, within walking distance or a short bus ride to universities and the city center. They are close to a variety of restaurants, bars, sports facilities (gym, swimming pool, rock-climbing walls, etc), public parks, and biking/running trails.
Housing is arranged depending on the preference of the students. We offer both homestays and private accomodation. Homestays present an unrivalled opportunity for the volunteers to immerse themselves in the local language and culture. Living with a family provides our program participants with unique insight in to Ecuadorian customs and lifestyle.
Participants will be provided with three meals per day, and will generally eat lunch with their host family. Lunch is the primary meal of the day, and sharing this meal is an important Ecuadorian custom. Students are provided with a private room and modern amenities, which include:
*Bed with sheets, blankets, and pillows
* Western-style bathroom (toliet, shower, sink)
* Fully-equipped kitchen (refigerator, stove, dishes, cups, etc.)
* 24/7 hot water
* Washer/dryer or laundry service
* 120 V electricity (same as U.S.)
*Wi-fi is available in some homestays. Free wi-fi is always available nearby at the El Nomad center! However remember, you're in Ecuador, so close your computer and go out and explore!
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost and is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|4 weeks: $2,509|
|6 weeks: $2,878|
|3 months: $4,600|
The prices listed are estimates. Prive varies depending on program duration and features. Feel free to contact us at email@example.com or via social media!
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with El Nomad Study Abroad for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!