Laptop Repair And Deployment
This program invites you to help Casa-Nica in efforts increase computer literacy and provide educational support for students within the Masaya, Nicaragua community. As a volunteer, you'll help with:
- Inspecting and repairing laptops that will be used in local schools
- Inspecting software on the laptops
- Re-imaging the laptops’ operating systems and firmware
- Maintaining and upgrading laptops’ infrastructure, including monitoring systems, content caching and filtering
- Bringing laptops to the three local schools in Managua that will use them
- Training teachers how to use the laptops as teaching aids in their classrooms
This program works in conjunction with One Laptop Per Child (OLPC), which provides specially designed XO Laptops for children and families in low-income communities worldwide.
Volunteers are needed because the sheer number of laptops requested throughout Nicaragua exceeds the managing capability of the current foundation staff—volunteers help staff with their goal of providing these valuable tools to classrooms at several schools in Masaya.
This program is located in Masaya, Nicaragua, just outside of the country’s capital, Managua. The town itself is smaller and less touristy than Granada or San Juan Del Sur, and known for its markets, artisan workshops, and large indigenous population.
Flexible! Most projects last between two and six hours per day, either in the morning or afternoon. Schedules are outlined each Sunday, and you're welcome to add other volunteer projects to your schedule.
You’ll stay in the volunteer house, which includes shared bedrooms, communal areas, two courtyards, a shared kitchen, and laundry facilities. Click here to learn more about the volunteer house!
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost. Your Reservation Fee is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|1 week: $296||Longer: +$246 per week|
|1 month: $850||Longer: +$246 per week|
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with Casa-Nica for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!