Healthcare & Spanish Language Immersion
Our medical volunteer program was designed to help at the local public hospital of La Ceiba. It is designed for medical students, doctors, nurses, EMT's and any health care personnel interested the local hospital which is always in need of volunteers. Volunteers work hands on together with local residents, doctors and nurses. Volunteer in the mornings from 7 a.m to 12 p.m.
Medical Spanish language in the afternoons from 1:30 p.m to 5:30 p.m (Optional). Classes on a one on one basis, 20 hours per week.
La Ceiba is well known as the gateway of Honduras. There is no discrimination and the people are generous and easy going. The region is mountainous and surrounded by tropical jungles. The beaches in Honduras rank among the best in the Caribbean Sea. just an hour by ferry boat from the beautiful BaY Islands of Utila and Roatan.
Flexible! You can choose your start and end dates based on availability. You'll work between three to six hours per day, with an optional number of days per week depending on the activities the volunteer chooses to participate in. Once a volunteer has registered, they will work out a schedule with one of our program coordinators that meets both the volunteer's and project's needs.
A typical day of a volunteer. Breakfast is served at 7:00 a.m and you start working at 7:45 a.m until 11:30 a.m., then back to host family for lunch and start your Medical Spanish lessons at 1:00 and finish up at 5:00 p.m. After school you can go to the beach to watch the sun set and have a drink with other volunteers and students!! Dinner is served at 7:00 p.m and at night you have several choices including going to the movies, get an ice cream and walk around the city to interact with the friendly locals, go to a disco on Thursdays and Fridays and try to dance Salsa or Punta, the typical Garifuna (Afroantillian people) dance!!
We highly recomend to visit the Bay islands on the wekends for scuba diving or snorkelling, great eperience to see the second largest coral reef barrier of the world after Australis!!
Also, a visit to the Mayan Ruins of Copan to discover the Mayan culture is another trip that you cannot miss on a weekend!!
YOUR HOME STAY IN HONDURAS:
Experience life in a Latin American community directly.
- A home stay is the best way to speed your language learning and your appreciation of other cultures.
- Your Honduran family will take care of your room and board at a price that can not be duplicated in commercial facilities.Private room and bathroom and 3 meals per day are provided. Tasty Honduran food; Vegetarians Welcome.
- Our host families live in the same upper middle class neighborhood walking distance from school (10 -15 minutes walk).
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost. Your Reservation Fee is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|1 week: $389||Longer: +$339 per week|
|3 weeks: $1,034||Longer: +$308 per week|
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with Centro Internacional Idiomas for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!