English/Spanish Teacher Or Tutor
Volunteer as an English/Spanish teacher or tutor in Jacó, Costa Rica!
Volunteer activities with this program range from:
- Teaching English to children and adults
- Assisting children with their homework in Spanish and/or English
- Leading/assisting with the Literacy Club
- Leading/assisting with English classes
These are the everyday activities we need help with; however, if you are experienced in other areas we are flexible and would love to put your skills to use! You'll volunteer with Biblioteca de Jacó, a local non-profit organization working on community-based projects in Costa Rica.
Jacó is a beach community that has seen significant change in a short period of time. Twenty years ago, Jacó was a farming community only accessible by horseback. Now, it's a popular tourist destination as surfers and families enjoy the short commute from the country's capital, San José.
Flexible! You can choose your start and end dates based on availability. You'll work between three to six hours per day, with an optional number of days per week depending on the activities the volunteer chooses to participate in.
Minimum stay: 1 week.
All of our accommodations are within a short walking distance or directly along the main beach road in Jacó. Volunteers have the option to stay with a homestay arrangement or at a hotel. Housing will be arranged on a case by case basis to ensure the comfort of each volunteer. Private rooms are available upon request. We can also recommend nearby hostels for volunteers who choose to find their own housing. If volunteers choose to arrange their own housing in one of the nearby communities they will be responsible for their own transportation to and from the library. Amenities include:
- Access to clean, potable water at accommodations and the project site
- Hot, running water is available at accommodations, and there are several options in town for volunteers to do their laundry
- Internet is available and free at the project site; however, Internet service in Costa Rica can be unreliable. There are several Internet cafes in town with good rates and we can assist you with recommendations.
Click here to learn more about where you'll stay!
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost and is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|1 week: $358||Longer: +$185 per week|
|1 week: $419||Longer: +$246 per week|
Prices listed above correspond to the following seasons, respectively:
Low Season (May-June & September-November)
High Season (December-April & July-August)
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with Biblioteca de Jacó for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!