Volunteer for community surveying in Caye Caulker, Belize!
Through this program, you'll ride a bike from house to house on the island, asking residents:
- How many cats and dogs live there
- How many are spayed or neutered
Plus, you'll take notes on whether any animals you see look abused or neglected. This program helps further community outreach projects to educate locals about pet care, as well as to gauge our partner sanctuary's ongoing efforts in providing education about and support for humane treatment of housecats and dogs.
As this program is not an ongoing one at the sanctuary, volunteers are considered on a case-by-case basis; you will work with the sanctuary director to determine your schedule and type of project, which will be largely self guided. Please allow several months between your inquiry and prospective start date to help schedule your visit and type of project.
You'll volunteer with P.A.W. Cat Sanctuary and Humane Society, a local group that provides spaying and neutering services and promotes humane education in Belize.
This program is located in Caye Caulker, Belize, a beautiful island just off the mainland. At six miles long by two miles wide, Cay Caulker’s community is tight-knit, yet welcoming of tourists and travelers.
Flexible! You'll volunteer four hours per day with one free day each week.
You'll stay in the Volunteer Cabana, which sleeps three people at a time and is located just at the shoreline on the beach. This includes:
- One single bed and a bunk bed set
- Coffee machine and microwave
- Bathroom with running (not heated) water attached to the outside of the building
Click here to learn more about where you'll stay!
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost and is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|1 week: $247||Longer: +$123 per week|
Volunteers may choose to stay in one of the available suites for an additional $36 per night.
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with P.A.W. Animal Sanctuary for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!