Volunteer for one of the largest hospitals for children in Latin America, San Jose, Costa Rica!
The Hospital not only hosts volunteers of the medical field but any female volunteers interested on helping children ill with several sicknesses. The volunteers help the Volunteer Ladies with different tasks such as: visiting the children, play with the children, organize activities for them, and help with every day activities.
Volunteer activities with this program range from:
- Assisting daily tasks from the Hospital
- Assisting with feeding sick children and play with them
- Offering special activities while in the Hospital
These are the everyday activities we need help with; however, if you are experienced in other areas we are flexible and would love to put your skills to use!
The Children Hospital is one of the most prestigious public institutions in Costa Rica and Latin America. The project began as a Rotary Club of San Jose iniciative back in the 60´s with a public parade to raise funds. The first constructions were built in centrical Paseo Colon and after the Public Health Ministry took the administration, not only the Rotary Club but Club Active 20-30 continued funding new iniciatives to fund the institution.
San Jose is Costa Rica's Capital City, located in a Central Valley. Temperature is in average 20C and it the home city for about 2 million and a half people. There are Costa Ricans and other inmigrants included in the population. San Jose has the main services and products as any other Capital City in the developing world.
Flexible! You can choose your start and end dates based on availability. You'll work between three to six hours per day, with an optional number of days per week depending on the activities the volunteer chooses to participate in. Once a volunteer has registered, they will work out a schedule with one of our program coordinators that meets both the volunteer's and project's needs.
The volunteers have an schedule from 9 to 4 in a general basis but may negotiate with the Ladies Volunteers Coordinator. The working days are from Monday to Thursdays but that schedule may be negotiated as well to work more days per week.
All of our accommodations are within bus rides from the Hospital. Volunteers have the option to stay with a homestay arrangement or at a hotel. Housing will be arranged on a case by case basis to ensure the comfort of each volunteer. Private rooms are available upon request. We can also recommend nearby hostels for volunteers who choose to find their own housing. If volunteers choose to arrange their own housing in one of the nearby communities they will be responsible for their own transportation to and from the library. Amenities include:
- Access to clean, potable water at accommodations and the project site.
- Hot, running water is available at accommodations, and there are several options in town for volunteers to do their laundry.
- Internet is available and free at the project site; however, Internet service in Costa Rica can be unreliable. There are several Internet cafes in town with good rates and we can assist you with recommendations.
This program may have a Reservation Fee, which is included in the total cost and is due once you commit to the program, with the remaining Program Fee balance due 30 days before your arrival date.
|1 month: $936||Longer: +$142 per week|
|6 months: $3,298||Longer: +$505 per month|
Volunteers should speak Spanish to be able to participate. They only accept female volunteers. Medical and Nursery students accepted although not able to perform medical assitance directly
Click here for full details about your program costs and how your Program Fee is used.
Note: All listed prices are in US Dollars.
How To Sign Up
Signing up is a three-step process:
- Fill out an Inquiry Form. Please note: submissions must be made at least 4 weeks prior to your prospective start date.
- A member of the Volunteer Global team will get in touch with you to confirm program availability for your chosen dates, and schedule an interview if needed.
- Once your interview is complete, you will be notified to submit your Reservation Fee to reserve your program and schedule. Your final Program Fee is due at least 4 weeks prior to in-country arrival in order to reserve your placement.
This is a pilot program. As part of our program development process, we ask our first groups of participating volunteers to provide additional feedback to assist us in ensuring the most rewarding experience possible in cooperation with Volunteering Design for their associated programs.
Registration must be completed at least one month prior to your program start date, so...let's get started!